Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Giant of Provence

Today was a big day. Probably the day I was most anxious about on the whole trip. Today was the encounter with Mont Ventoux, the Giant of Provence. Mont Ventoux is arguably one of the most famous climbs in all cycling. Epic Tour de France battles have be waged on its slopes. Today was our turn to attempt the climb it.

The morning started with a pleasant ride from Mazan to Bedoin, about 10km. The climb of Mont Ventoux starts in Bedoin, appropriately enough, at a bike shop. The first few kilometers are relatively gentle (3-4% grade) and Lance and Rob did a good job at curbing our enthusiasm. In fact, Lance had to remind me more than a few times that it was still a long way to the top. No sooner was I warned when the road turned up! In the matter of about a kilometer, the road turned up, from 4% to 8% and beyond (I seem to recall 14% at one point)! It was all I could do to keep going. At any number of times I thought it would be really easy to just turn the bike around and give up. But the road was so steep I didn't think I could successfully unclip from the pedals to turn around. So, up it was, through the forest.

The first respite came at about the one hour twenty mark when I finally made it to the Chateau Reynard (about 6 km from the top). There isn't anything that every remotely resembles a flat or level spot anywhere in the first 17 km of the climb! I guess we spent about 20 minutes at the Chateau, resting, filling water bottles and mustering enough courage to climb the last 6 km. The last 6 km seemed a bit gentler (maybe only 6-8%) but is totally exposed to the wind. The top of Mont Ventoux is just rock; all the trees were cut down to build ships and have never grown back. I finally made it to the top (after two more stops) in two hours seven minutes.

After a few minutes at the top to take a few photos, look around what seemed like all of Provence, and slap a few backs, it was time to head down. As difficult as it was to climb to the top of Mont Ventoux, the descent is probably scarier! The road is so steep, you go from zero to way too fast in a few hundred feet! Fortunately my brakes held out until I got back to the Chateau, where Lance and Rob had lunch waiting for us. Jambon sandwiches never tasted so good, nor so well earned!

We took a different route down from the Chateau, toward Sault. The road to Sault was not nearly as steep as the one we came up from Bedoin. It also dropped us into the lavender fields which were pretty spectacular. From Sault, we took the same route we had ridden on Monday through the Gorge de la Nesque. I was happy to coast the 10 miles or so down the gorge back to Mazan!

Today was probably the most epic day I've ever spent on a bicycle. Sixty one miles. 6,334 feet of climbing. I will not soon forget my time on Mont Ventoux. I'm glad I had the opportunity to spend a few hours getting to know the Giant of Provence.

2 comments:

  1. Wow........Sounds "Fun" I would love to try it one day. You are a great writer dude!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a much better jersey than anything I've seen you wear on this trip!

    ReplyDelete