Wednesday, July 4, 2012

From Impossible to "I'm Possible"

This was a tag line I learned when I did my first AIDS Ride back in 2001 or so. That phrase always stuck with me. But the demons I exorcized on that ride from Raleigh to DC returned on Mont Ventoux. John did a great job summarizing our adventure but what wasn't said were the times of loneliness on the mountain. That time was realized probably within the first 10K of the climb when I realized Barb had fallen behind, Rob was with her, John was way ahead, and I had no idea where Lance was. I was by myself. The road kept going up and I began doubting my ability to finish. Chalet Reynard seemed so far away but I kept cranking. Did we train enough for this trip? Was our hill work sufficient? After all we did MacArthur Blvd, 3 bears, and even Skyline Drive with such cockiness. Ventoux certainly let me know who was KOM (king of the mountain). The climb continued... No rest... 9-13% grades ... Still no rest. Over an hour of climbing ... Still no rest. Finally Chalet Reynard. After our break we're finally able to see our goal, only 6K away. The first 50 meters seemed easy enough but Ventoux didn't allow us to breeze up to the top. We had to face humility once again within 300 meters of finishing so that John & I could take a quick moral break. We pressed on and finally reached the summit to be met by Barb and our guide Nadine. We did it. We really did it. I found a type of spirituality on Mont Ventoux yesterday. You learn again how to be humble. I think part of me remains atop that mountain as well as Ventoux allowing me a part of it in return. An incredible experience never to be forgotten!

1 comment:

  1. I understand the feeling having had my own "spiritual moment" on the way up Galibier. Neither of us would have tamed the beast had we not first have survived the Warrenton Death Ride together. Go, Paul...Go!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete